Savvy Attorneys Who
Put Your Needs First

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  » What to do when an uninsured driver hits you

What to do when an uninsured driver hits you

On Behalf of | Mar 6, 2020 | Car Accidents

Car accidents are painful for everyone involved. But most motorists have insurance, protecting them from financial harm after a crash. Yet some motorists lack insurance. If you collide with one of these drivers, you may wonder if you will shoulder your repair and medical expenses.

You do have options for recourse, though, when you’re involved in a crash with an uninsured motorist. Keeping these tips in mind can help you achieve it.

Remember New Jersey’s no-fault law

New Jersey is a no-fault insurance state. Thus, your insurance company covers any damage and medical claims you file after an accident. No-fault insurance applies to you no matter the other driver’s coverage, or lack of it. Yet this coverage excludes non-monetary damages related to the accident. You may experience pain and suffering after the crash, whether physical or mental. If you do, you might have to cover these costs out of pocket.

File an accident report

You may worry that filing an accident report will lead to the uninsured driver’s arrest. Yet putting the accident on record accounts for its damages, easing the claim process. If the other driver tries to offer you money for damages instead, do not accept it. They may consider it an easier way to compensate your repairs and injuries. But their motives likely stem from their hope to stay under law enforcement’s radar.

Pursue a civil suit

If your claim only covers specific bills, you can protect yourself by filing a civil lawsuit. A civil suit could help you achieve fair compensation for pain and suffering. And it could also help you achieve compensation for your medical and repair bills if they exceed your insurance’s coverage limit.

You may worry about mounting bills if an uninsured driver hits you. But there are laws and steps you can take to protect yourself from further harm. Consulting with a personal injury attorney can help you achieve recourse fitting for your case.


FindLaw Network